Chukauni (pronounced as CHOO COW NEE) is a very popular yogurt potato salad originated from the western Nepali district of Palpa and popular in every district because of its taste.
Chukauni recipe is very easy to prepare and tasty to eat, like other Nepali Pickle. It is the must-have side dish on every Nepali event and occasion.
Chukauni can be served with different foods like rice, roti (Chapati), or even can be served without any side dishes.
This is fairly simple and easy to make; recipe, as each and every ingredient needed in this recipe will be readily available in your nearby store. Some people recommend peas in the chukauni, but please don’t use them.
It is a fairly traditional dish with lots of spices, but its choice. If you can not handle spices you can reduce or completely reduce the use of the chilly powder.
Let’s start preparing a spicy and delicious chukauni. This simple potato salad or chukauni recipe will take around 20 to 30 min for cooking and preparation. It is enough for serving 6 to 7 people.
Chukauni is a healthy potato salad as we use all the fresh ingredients. First of all, we will list out the ingredients needed for our Listy recipe.
Ingredients for chukauni
- 4 to 5 potatoes (Better if big sized), peeled cut in the chunky pieces
- 2 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 Serrano pepper or one Thai chili pepper finely chopped (you can add more if you want to)
- 1 medium-sized lemon (squeezed), you can add more if you love soury taste – recommended chuk amilo (Concentrated lemon)
- Salt to taste
- Chili powder (as per your taste)
- 1 to 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 3 to 4 green chilies – finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin(जीरा) powder
- A pinch of garam masala
- 3 tablespoons of any vegetable oil (mustard (तोरी)
- Half tablespoon of fenugreek (मेथी) seed
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh coriander(धनिया) leaves
How to make Chukauni/Potato salad recipe
- First of all, boil the potatoes (4 to 5 recommended for this recipe) using different methods
- Use water and leave it on pressure cooker until it is cooked (3 whistles)
- Use 2 teaspoon Ghee and leave it on pressure cooker until it is cooked (3 whistles)
- Or, microwave it
- Drain all of the hot water and wash your potatoes with the cold water, it will be easier to peel (you can leave the skin if you are using baby potatoes)
- Smash the potato for the medium size, else you can dice it in the medium piece
- Take 2 medium onion and dice it finely and then put it on a mixing bowl
- Now, add other ingredients too, like Serrano pepper, chili powder, salt, lemon juice or chuk amilo
- In the same bowl add your diced or mashed potatoes too
- Now add 2 cups of yogurt in the same bowl (Note: if you are using thick yogurt, then add few tablespoons of water too)
- Its time to mix them well, traditionally we love to use hand for the mixing process (It will mix all of the ingredients perfectly)
- Now take a small pan, and then heat 3 tablespoons of mustard oil
- Add 2 pinches of fenugreek seeds in the pan and then some dry chili (if you want extra spices)
- After a few minutes, fenugreek will start turning into the dark color
- You can turn off the flame, and then add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in the bubbling oil
- Pour the mixture into the bowl and then mix it well and serve it with the rice or chapati (Roti)
If you like our recipe, don’t forget to click the bell icon to get notified for a future recipe. Don’t forget to follow our Instagram page @listynp for other updates and cooking videos.