Rice kheer also is known as payasam (chawal ki kheer) is one of the easiest traditional South Asian (India, Nepal, Pakistan, etc.) dessert.
It is a creamy rice pudding, made from slow-cooked rice, milk, and sugar. Kheer is prepared by simmering rice into full-fat milk with lots of luscious toppings of dry fruits.
Then, isn’t it quite easy to prepare? The main challenging part of Kheer Recipe is the proportion of the ingredients.
Kheer is also made on many Indian occasions like puja and many more traditional practices. People make kheer in numerous ways however rice kheer is the most common one. It is usually mad with basmati rice as it gives a rich aroma and adds extra flavor.
Kheer recipe or rice pudding is a quick and easy dessert that you can make with very simple ingredients. Rice, milk and sugar are our daily used ingredients in our home so you don’t have to make extra efforts to collect simple ingredients.
Ingredients for Kheer/Rice Pudding
- 1/4 cup long-grain basmati rice (Taichin rice is recommended), soaked for 15-30 minute
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 4 to 5 cups (1 liter will be fine) of whole milk (preferred natural milk from cow or buffalo) or you can also use full-fat coconut milk too
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sugar or you can add per your taste
That’s is what we need for basic here. That’s extremely easy, but let’s add some extra flavor to it.
- A Pinch of saffron (केसर)
- 1/2 teaspoon slightly crushed green cardamom (इलायची) pods
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped raisins (किशमिश)
- 1 tablespoon chopped almonds (बदाम)
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews (काजु)
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped pistachios (पिस्ता)
- 1/2 tablespoon grated coconut
- Splash of Rosewater goes a long way in giving the kheer that flowery aroma
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Ready In||Serving For|
How to make Kheer
- Let’s rinse our basmati or taichin or any other rice before leaving for soaking. We need to rinse until the water turns clear.
- Now we will leave our cleaned rice for soaking, it can be for just 20 to 30 minutes.
- After being soaked for around 20 to 30 minutes we can drain the rice using a colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, we can utilize these 30 minutes for the next task. We can boil the milk for our kheer recipe.
- Take a liter of whole milk in a kadhai or a wide pan
- Let the milk boil in the medium-low flame. (Don’t forget to stir constantly so that milk does not stick at the bottom of the Kadhai)
- After milk come to boil, let’s take 1 or 2 tablespoons of boiled milk in a bowl and add a pinch of saffron into the bowl and keep aside.
- Now, let’s heat up a pan and add 1 teaspoon ghee (for soaked rice)
- Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed green cardamom in the pan and stir it and leave it for a minute
- Add soaked rice in the pan and stir it constantly for next 5 minute
- After the rice starts changing its color. Add boiled milk into the pan and mix it well
- We do not need to cover the pan but it needs to be cooked in the medium-low flame and stir it so that it does not stick in a pan
- If the rice grain is cooked about 50% then add sugar (as your taste) and stir it and continue cooking until the rice is almost cooked
After that, it’s time for flavoring our kheer recipe
- Add 1 tbsp chopped almonds (बदाम)
- Add 1 tbsp chopped cashews (काजु) and 1/2 tbsp chopped pistachios (पिस्ता)
- Then add 1 tbsp of grated coconut and then mix it well
- Then we need to add saffron dissolved milk and stir it to mix well
- Our kheer is almost ready, let’s continue cooking in the medium-low flame till the kheer thickens
- Switch off the flame and leave our kheer for next 5 to 10 minute for cooling
- Lastly, add 1/2 tbsp chopped raisins (किशमिश) and 1 tbsp of rosewater in our rice pudding recipe (rice kheer recipe)
- You can serve it in the bowl and enjoy time with your family in this pandemic situation in a quarantine.
If you like our recipe, don’t forget to click the bell icon to get notified for a future recipe. Don’t forget to follow our Instagram page @listynp for other updates and cooking videos.
Leave a Reply